So it goes my lovely readers, I have moved up in the world to write more freely. Do not fret as I will always run that of the advice section. Though in my new job qualifications I was asked to write on a person I think does this city wonders.
Of course I researched who truly makes this city gleam and shine in the purple twilight. Who else fits the bill better that our dear Doctor Scratch.
This man has an intelligence and knowledge beyond compare. Not only has he touched the hearts of a many. He has touched that of very many young girls. Boys I am sure too. Just so many in hearts and minds. At that his power has extended greatly beyond in having so many hands upon very many families. All effected one way or another by his strong guidance no matter if requested or not. Some of which I am sure he nor these others are even fully aware of. What they might say is unknown though I know enough to say it will be very many words shared. Such vigor and strength behind it would be a marvelous moment to witness. Rest assured my darling readers this man is no puppet. He is truly the master of his fate, and at that nothing of circumstance. Never should one think of that of a honest to god, truthful, well mannered gentleman. No way should you ever get wary or mind turning your back on his form.
He would never do you wrong. No. Never, not the Good Doctor.
So goes my short on this particular fellow. I hope it was a pleasure to read, at that get the chance to hear of someone worth watching. As always my darling readers my writings shall be continued another time.
Here’s the first one I bought on my Savannah trip this past weekend at a store called “Books on the Bay” (it’s a beautiful store).
It’s by A.A. Milne, illustrated by E.H. Shepard. These are Winnie the Pooh poems for children, originally published in 1927. This is a 1950 reprint.
I think the best things to preface this guide on? The fact that Tumblr is not perfect and the few things that are glitchy and could offer issues for both parties. Now, here are a few common issues that Tumblr seems to do/or have:
- Tags breaking — I am uncertain why this occurs, but it does. When a tracked tag is broken it means that you get notified on the tracker that there are things tagged with said tracked tag but something happened to break it in Tumblr’s algorithm [ I presume ] so now the person cannot see it.
- Ask not going through — Again, I am not sure what causes this, but on occasion, your ask to a person will never be received by them because of some glitch in Tumblr’s codes or algorithms, or whatever the cause of this may be.
A few solutions to this? If the other person happens to post something OOC [ out of character ] and it offers the little ‘reply’ speech bubble? Kindly let them know you tried to send them an ask. Also, if the other person allows fanmail? Use that over the ask, it seems to for the most part be more efficient and tends to actually go through.
Now, we’ll move onto the basics of roleplay etiquette. We’ll cover the DO’s and the DON’T’s of it to offer you some better ways to handle certain situational issues before they prospectively get out of hand.
- Offer manners for your partners to contact you for plotting. Why? This can provide venue so that in the future or even just down the road, you don’t run into the old ‘I never agreed to this’ scenario.
- Remain patient about replies. Why? Not everyone has the inspiration OR the time to crank out replies every day or even immediately upon your reply. Though, don’t hesitate to give a nudge if a few days to a week do pass. Roleplay is a hobby, not a job.
- Read the other person’s disclaimers, FAQs, etc. Why? You could accidentally godmod them or upset them with certain quirks or behaviors — not to mention it is always more interesting to go into a thread with a better idea of the other person’s character. If you have the time to read replies from them or other people? You have the time to read their provided information about their character.
- Talk to the other person if you have an issue. Why? If you find yourself harboring an issue with another person, their character or a storyline they’re doing? Find means to talk to them privately! Handling it publicly is NEVER the best way to handle and can cause unnecessary drama.
- Remember roleplay is for fun, some even use it for an escape. Why? So that it remains fun and remains an escape — it is no one’s right to change that for another person.
- Godmod. Why? Because you should NEVER do this. There is never a situation where it will be right for you to kill a person’s a character or mortally wound another’s character, or any other action that is essentially contextually forced on the other without the other writer’s permissions. Be careful not to get ahead of yourself and make sure to leave openings for the other to cancel out what is being done.
- Rush the other writer or pester them. Why? Because if you’re messaging a person 2-3 or more times in a day that you have replied to a thread with them? Not only will that likely irritate them, but they are more likely to lose inspiration for the thread.
- Step on other’s toes. What do I mean? Don’t create a character that is at best a carbon copy of another’s character — though this can’t always be helped in canon/fandom roleplays. In those cases? Get creative follow your own ideas and what you see for the character with storylines and what-not; rather than following all the roads another writer did with their version of said character. These sorts of things can prove to incite drama if not handled in a mature fashion.
- Hesitate to ask for means of outside contact. Why? Since Tumblr does have glitches in it’s ask system and what-not, having means of contacting your roleplay partner like Skype, MSN, AIM, etc can prove very useful for plotting.
Now, I’m going to list a few other etiquette related things that can prove helpful in preventing issues and or drama from arising. Here are a few more things you really just NEED to remind yourself:
- If a person’s character is an asshole? THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT THE WRITER IS AN ASSHOLE.
- If a person’s character has some sort of illness — any kind? THE WRITER DOES NOT NECESSARILY SHARE THAT WITH THEM.
- The writer may be using their character as an escape from home life or other issues in their life.
- The writer may just be writing to have fun.
- Just because a writer hasn’t replied to your ask or your thread? DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE IGNORING YOU, THEY MAY NOT HAVE THE INSPIRATION.
- Nothing gives you the right to godmod.
- Drabbles about your character and another are not godmodding — though make sure the other writer is okay with what is happening within it. [ Of course, if you were prompted by said writer, this is different. ]
- There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fandom/canon character dating, being friends, whatever with an original character.
- NOT ALL ORIGINAL CHARACTERS ARE MARY SUES OR GARY STUS.
- THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH HAVING AN ORIGINAL CHARACTER.
I tried to find an etiquette guide best suited for BB, and I think this one works nicely, despite the fact we don’t typically deal with original characters ( still something to keep in mind for the OC blogs who might message you, however! )
I don’t want anyone to get upset or feel like this was posted SPECIFICALLY FOR YOU, but we’ve had the odd complaint here or there in regards to a few issues that are covered in this guide, so if everyone could take the time to look it over at some point, we’d really appreciate it.
We don’t want anyone feeling bullied, ostracized, ignored or pressured into something they’re uncomfortable with. All I ask is that you all remain kind and courteous to your fellow RPers. Thank you!
ALRIGHT BORGATA BROS AND BROADS.
Lieutenant Commander Ryn here. I’ve been dragging my feet on this post for quite some time, and although it was addressed it in the Skype chat a few months ago, not everyone was around for that. So!
In regards to Hiatuses, we’re going to have to set down some ground rules, and reestablish a few others that have been around since the start. First and foremost, if you are inactive on your account for 2 or more weeks without notice, you WILL lose your spot and your character(s) will be put up for grabs. However, if the character is still available, you are more than welcome to reapply.
With that in mind, we firmly believe that real life matters always comes first, whether it be homework, health, family, whatever the reason. If you need to take a break from RPing, please SEND US AN ASK to let us know. You will be put on the hiatus list and will not risk losing your character(s). Do NOT send a message via Skype. I guarantee you 100000% it will either go unnoticed or your trusty admins will completely forget to mention it to the others. You’re better off to message us on the main blog. Of course, if you do not have access to tumblr/the internet in general (e,g,. your computer breaks), contact us however you wish. I am more than willing to give any of you my number if you don’t have someone who can relay a message for you in the chat.
Finally, we move on to the main point of this post. While we do understand real life takes precedence over playing make believe with strangers on the internet, eventually, we do have to draw the line somewhere. We are no longer allowing indefinite hiatuses. If you need a month to study and prepare for finals, that’s fine. If your family is moving and you won’t have internet access for 6-8 weeks, we understand. But when you’re ebbing on the 3 month mark, don’t be surprised if you come back and find out your spot has been reopened or even filled.
Being a member of Borgatabent means being a member of a DEPENDENT Roleplay group. Other people could very well be relying on you for key character interaction and plot, while you’re touring France or exploring the Alps. If you’re unable to post regularly, or if you expect your hiatus to extend past 8 weeks (unless special arrangements are made with the admins ) we do not advise being part of a RP ring such as this. An independent blog might be better suited for you, and, since Borgatabent members are not restricted to RPing within the AU, you would still be more than welcome to interact with our role-players.
For any questions or concerns, please send an ask to the main blog. Thank you.
L.T. Shettler, the Rickenbacker car dealer in Los Angeles, demonstrated the effectiveness of the 4 wheel brakes on a new 1924 Rickenbacker C6 Touring sedan by driving the car down the Hope Street steps leading from Hope Street to 3rd Street. Bunker Hill. 1924 (Source)